I often share different homemade hair mask recipes and share reviews of different readily available masks too. But today I will be sharing a detailed guide on what is a hair mask? And how make and apply it the right way.
Let’s begin. Shall we?
What is a hair mask?
It is a combination of ingredients that help your hair tackle its current hair problem. Like, face masks help you tackle different skin problems like acne, oily skin, tanning, pigmentation, dryness, and much more.
The same is the case with hair masks.
They can help you with anything and everything under the sun. You have a hair problem, I bet, there is a homemade hair mask, and a readily available mask to help you tackle it.
Hair Mask Benefits
As I mentioned above, these masks helps you with almost every hair and scalp trouble you come across. If you regularly incorporate them in your hair care routine, it can benefit you to:
- Repair damaged hair
- Add new life to dull, lifeless hair
- Moisturize dry hair
- Trigger hair growth
- Control hair fall
- Soothe itchy scalp
- Remove product build-up
- Add shine to hair
- Minimize frizz
- Regrow new hair
- Control dandruff
These are some benefits of hair masks and using them regularly can definitely take you a step closer to achieving your hair goals.
How To Make Them At Home?
As you know, I often experiment with homemade masks. How I make them at home is a simple recipe. Let me share my method of making homemade masks for your hair:
Then add one or two herbs for the hair growth of your choice.
Whip them together until you have a smoothie-like creamy consistency.
Strain the mask.
And use it.
How To Apply Hair Mask?
For best results, make sure you cover your entire hair length concentrating well on your hair ends and your scalp apply a generous quantity.
Start by detangling your hair.
Divide them into four sections.
Using a hairbrush start applying the mask generously.
Cover with a shower cap.
Leave the mask on for at least 20 minutes. You can leave some masks for about 2 hours while some oil masks can be left on the hair overnight.
Then rinse it off with regular tap water. Skip using hot water.
Shampoo, condition, and hair rinse as usual.
Best Homemade Hair Mask Recipes To Try
Here are a few of my tried and tested homemade mask recipes that have worked well for my hair and scalp and I am positive they will benefit you too:
- Homemade Avocado Mask
- Egg and Curd Mask
- Aloe Vera and Coconut Oil Mask
- Banana and Egg Hair Mask
- Coconut Milk and Rose Petal
- Egg White and Lemon Mask
- Aloe Vera and Fenugreek Mask
- Best mask for dandruff
- Henna and Indigo Mask For Grey Hair
Do give them a try and tag me in your results.
Readymade Masks You Can Buy
If DIYs aren’t your thing, there are a lot of masks available in the market. Here are some that are definitely worth a try:
- Plum Olive Oil & Macadamia Mask For Chemically Treated Hair
- BlendItRaw Ayurvedic Mask Kit
- Mamaearth Argan Hair Mask
- St. Tropic Coconut Oil And Biotin Mask
- Keratin Hair Reconstruction Mask
- Natures Co Mask
- Argan Dew Mask
- Oriflame Milk and Honey Mask
- Professional Salon Treatment That Instantly Transforms The Texture of Your...
- Repairs, Restores, and Strengthens Weak, Damaged, and Overprocessed Hair To...
- Deeply Conditions, Detangles, Hydrates, and Revives Dull and Dry Hair...
- Repairs and Strengthens Hair - Filled with moisturizing oils and other...
- Deeply Conditions Your Hair- Make your hair smooth and more manageable with...
- Suitable for All Hair Types - Our strengthening and hydrating hair mask...
- like a cool drink of water for your hair, this mask quenches hair's thirst....
- perfect for all hair types, especially those in need of deep hydration.
- packed with vitamins and nutrients to condition the hair making it soft,...
- Grow Long Restoring Anti-Breakage Mask: Infused with Caffeine, Ginseng, and...
- Long Hair, Don’t Care: Formulated to help you achieve those perfect...
- How To Use: Apply generously to wet hair after shampooing. Leave on for 3-5...
- An At-home Leave-In Treatment infused with the patented K18Peptide that...
- Creates Like Hair Like New: Traveling into the inner-most layers of hair to...
- Renews All Hair Types: K18 doesn’t just hide damage or patch it up...
Last update on 2023-09-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Can we apply a hair mask after oiling?
This is a query that kept making its way to my inbox. I know it’s a bit confusing at times. Layering products the right way is important.
That is why you need to use a hair mask the right way.
While it is always the best idea to apply a hair mask to your dry hair. This ensures that the mask you are using penetrates deep in your hair shaft and isn’t already saturated with oil.
But if it’s an oil-based mask like a hibiscus oil mask then you don’t need to wash your hair. You can simply apply the mask after oiling.
Should you put the mask on before or after washing your hair?
If you are using an oil-based mask then using it before your shampoo is the ideal way to go. But when you are using a homemade mask, then shampoo your hair after it.
And if deep conditioning or protein mask is your choice for the day, wash your hair before and then wash your hair with just water.
Should I shampoo after a mask?
You should always shampoo your hair with a gentle shampoo after using the mask. But if you are using a deep conditioning mask, which is meant to be used after you wash your hair, then simple rinsing your hair with water is enough afterward.
I swear by the benefits of a hair mask. They take us a step closer to achieving our hair goals. homemade or ready-made, just take your pick and make sure to apply your hair mask regularly.
Your hair will thank you 🙂
If you are nerdy like me, do check out this article where different studies on hair cosmetics and its effects are shared.
Have a lovely day.