Have you tried an avocado hair mask before?
It sounds sticky and messy but has superb repairing and hydrating properties.
Well, I love using avocado oil in my hair care routine but I rarely use avocado on my hair directly. However, last week, I just opened my refrigerator to pick up something and saw an avocado being overripe.
I knew neither me nor my hubby would be eating it anytime soon. So I decided to make an avocado hair mask but by mixing a lot of random ingredients to it.
Here’s how my experimental avocado mask turned out.
Also read: What is A Hair Mask?
Benefits Of Avocado Hair Mask
There are lots of avocado hair mask benefits like it:
- Hydrates hair beautifully
- Adds shine
- Treats scalp infections and itchiness
- Repairs damage
- Prevents split ends
- Adds new life to dull hair
- Deep conditions hair, scalp, and roots
Homemade Avocado Hair Mask Recipe
You guys enjoy me being your guinea pig and trying all the weird things on my hair and skin. And that is exactly what we are gonna do here.
So I decided to whip an avocado hair mask and my goal with this hair mask was to repair my dry ends, add shine, hydrate my scalp, and add a new life to my hair.
I know.. I know… too many expectations from a single hair mask, but I am an optimist.
So here is exactly what I added to my hair mask,
- Avocado: 1 overripe
- Banana: 1 overripe
- Egg: 1 whole
- Olive oil: 1 tsp
- Honey: 1 tsp
- Lemon Juice: 1 tsp
I went a little overboard with my ingredients list. But I swear every ingredient in the list is there for a reason.
How To Make Avocado Hair Mask?
Blend the avocado and banana until you get a smooth consistency.
Add egg white from 1 egg, olive oil, and honey and blend again.
Now take out your creamy hair mask and add 1 tsp lemon juice to it and mix well using a spoon, folk, or a whipper.
Your deep conditioning hair mask is ready. Just a quick tip refrigerate it for 5 minutes, for more hydrating effects results.
How To Use It For Dry, Damaged Hair?
Always make sure to strain your homemade hair masks using a muslin cloth before applying on your hair. Otherwise small chunks in the hair mask will cling onto your hair and will be hard to remove them.
After straining your hair mask, start by de-tangling your hair and parting them in 2 sections.
Using your fingers or a brush, start by applying the hair mask concentrating on your scalp, cover your entire hair length, and finish by soaking your roots well with the mask.
Tie your hair in a bun and secure it with a shower cap. This is important so that the hair mask does not dry out.
Leave it on for 20 minutes only and before rinsing it off, give it a little steam either using your hair drying or thermal steam cap. This step will ensure that the mask penetrates deep into your hair and scalp and you get the maximum results in a short time.
After 2-3 minutes of steam, just rinse the hair mask with normal water. Don’t use hot water since we have used eggs in the recipe.
Follow it up with your choice of shampoo. I skipped the conditioner because this hair mask was hydrating enough and I didn’t feel the need to reach out to my conditioner.
Why Would this hair mask work?
This Hair Mask would work because it contains:
- Avocado which repairs damage, hydrates hair and adds volume as well as bounce to your hair.
- The banana is responsible for moisturizing your hair deeply.
- Eggs are an excellent protein source and helps strengthen hair, control hair fall, and add a new life to hair
- Olive oil helps in deep conditioning, repairing, and controlling hair fall
- Honey, that hydrates hair to a level that no other ingredient does and adds a wonderful shine
- Lemon juice is an excellent source of vitamin C that treats fungal infections, minor dandruff and helps with clarifying your hair and scalp.
- MAJESTIC PURE Avocado Hair Mask with Coconut Oil; infused with Biotin; Deep...
- For all hair Types; Color Safe; Expertly formulated with beneficial...
- Deep conditioning and hair thickening formula for all hair types
Last update on 2023-12-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Only keep this hair mask for a maximum of 30 minutes. If you keep more than that it would take a while to come off completely.
- If you belong to a fine hair family, apply an inch away from roots, because this is super hydrating but weighs down your hair a bit.
- Use cold water or at least room temperature water to rinse it.
- Always strain your hair mask before using it, no matter how much rush you are.
- The recipe can be halved or doubled as per your need.
- You can add or skip any ingredients as per your hair and scalp’s current needs.
For best results use it twice a month.
View this post on Instagram
My Final Thoughts
I loved the effects of this hair mask on my hair. My hair now feels bouncy, shiny, and hydrated.
I definitely recommend you to make avocado hair mask if you have dry, wavy, curly hair and are suffering from scalp infections and hair fall.
If you have any queries in mind, feel free to ask via comments.
Have a lovely day!