Have you tried experimenting with hair rinses yet? It is a well kept ayurvedic hair secret you need to incorporate in your hair care routine.
Yesterday I was just sitting and having a cup of coffee with my cousins and suddenly my brother complemented me on my shiny and long Indian hair and asked me my hair secret.
I shared some hair care tips and also mentioned them about the benefits of incorporating different hair rinses after every hair wash and everyone was puzzled.
That’s when it hit me, I should write an in-depth article on best rinses and how to incorporate them in your routine.
What Are Hair Rinses?
Hair Rinse is a hair treatment where you make a liquid decoction with water and ayurvedic herbs that you pour on your hair after washing your hair with shampoo and hair conditioner. You leave this hair rinse on your hair for couple of minutes before rinsing it out with water.
For example : I would wash my hair then pour my favorite rinse on my hair and leave it on for about three to five minutes and then wash my hair with just water.
Right order of incorporating hair rinse in your hair care routine:
- Hair Oiling Treatment (optional but highly recommended)
- Hair Conditioner
- Hair Rinse
- Wash Your hair with water.
Benefits of Using Hair Rinse
There are lot of benefits of using these rinses. It works really well basically its like the magic wand that can solve all your hair problems, be it:
- Slow hair growth
- Dull Hair
- Damaged Hair
- Frizzy Hair
- Grey Hair
- Unmanageable Hair
- Lifeless Hair
- Hair Fall
- Split Ends
- Hair Thinning.
I am sure most of you might have at least one of these hair problems and would be wondering how to solve it.
DIY Hair Rinse Types And Their Recipes
There are numerous rinse recipes out there. But these are my personally experimented and tried recipes that actually deliver good results:
Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Rinse for Removing Product Build-up
This is the hair rinse method works as a really good cleanser. If you feel that nothing is actually working for your hair then maybe you have too much product build up on your hair and scalp.
Its time for going for a hair detox.
Try this apple cider vinegar rinse to remove the build up and repair your damaged hair. It also leaves them super silky and soft. Just a heads up this hair rinse smells little off.
This ACV rinse also works well to get rid of itchy and flaky scalp. If you are looking for instant results then this hair rinse will show you improved results from first time itself.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 2 TSP
- Water – 2 cups
- Dilute Apple cider vinegar in water.
- Make sure the water you use is neither too hot nor too cold and is at room temperature. Now pour this on your hair and leave it on for 20 minutes. If your scalp itches too much then leave it on until next time you wash your hair.
Apple cider vinegar hair rinse is a great one to try especially if you are new to trying out hair rinses. Its good, it delivers great results instantly.
It helps to add a beautiful tint and shine to your hair. Do give it a try, you will love how wonderful it makes your hair appear.
Fermented Rice Water Hair Rinse For Hair Growth
This is the fermented rice water rinse that I usually do this at least twice a month and it has improved my hair’s texture and elasticity to such an extent that I can’t even explain.
- Rice – 3 TSP
- Water – 1 cup
- Wash rice and soak it in clean water overnight.
- Now strain the water and let it ferment overnight. Use this fermented rice water as your last rinse.
- Leave it on your washed hair for 10 minutes and rinse it with water.
Rice water works really well for you skin as well as your hair. It improves elasticity and promotes faster hair growth. I personally love the results of this rinse. Just a quick warning though, it is fermented so it smells a bit gross.
But you can always make this rose hair perfume to make your hair smell good.
Fenugreek Rinse for Hair Fall Control And Faster Hair Regrowth
If you are facing severe hair loss and losing more than 100 strands a day, then you need to give this fenugreek rinse for hair loss a try.
This is something that I always incorporate in my hair care routine whenever I struggle with hair fall and slow hair regrowth.
- Fenugreek seeds – 2 TSP
- Rosemary essential oil(optional)
- Lavender essential oil(optional)
- Water- 1 cup
- Soak Fenugreek seeds overnight in water.
- Next morning, strain the water and keep it aside.
- You can add 3 drops of rosemary essential oil or lavender essential oil to this hair rinse.
- Just pour this bitter smelling water on your washed hair and leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse it with water.
To utilize the soaked fenugreek seeds, you can always whip up a fenugreek and curd hair mask for dandruff control or fenugreek and aloe vera hair mask for frizzy hair. Also, don’t forget to check out how to use fenugreek seeds for hair in 5 different ways.
Lemon Rinse for Dandruff and Greasy Hair
If you have itchy scalp, dandruff or if you are tired of dealing with oily hair or if your hair gets greasy fast, then give lemon rinse a try.
This lemon rinse works really well and keeps greasiness and itchiness at bay.
Guava Leaves Treatment For Hair Loss
This is a hair rinse that I learnt from my dad’s Ayurveda books.
You might not realize this but leaves of guava tree are extremely beneficial for hair.
This rinse not only helps you to control hair fall but also helps to darken your hair color overtime. Just make sure you use a good sulfate free shampoo afterward.
Hair Rinse For Jet Black Hair
This one is my personal favorite rinse recipe for grey hair. I remember my mom used to make it since I had premature grey hair since teenage years.
This hair rinse helps with grey hair reversal and helps to cover grey hair naturally over time.
- Boil the water and add all the ingredients to it (except almond oil). Let it boil for 10 to 15 mins.
- Strain the solution.
- Now, just pour it on your washed hair and leave it on for 10 minutes. Rinse it with cold water.
- Do this every time you wash your hair and you will notice the your grey hair are getting darker over time.
You can also try rosemary hair rinse or coffee rinse for achieving darker hair color naturally.
View this post on Instagram
Green Tea Hair Rinse For Shiny Hair
If you have dull hair that lacks shine, then you need to give this green tea rinse a try.
Take my word for it, it does work.
This green tea rinse not only adds a nice shine and gloss to your hair but also makes your hair grow faster.
Here is how you can make green tea rinse for shiny hair.
View this post on Instagram
Hair Rinse for Red and Brown Hair Color
This is the hair rinse helps to add a red and brown tint to your hair color. I do this every month and it works really well for me. (I wouldn’t recommend this hair rinse for blonde hair.)
You can also do this hair rinse regularly especially if you are thinking or dyeing your hair red.
- Tea – 3 TSP ( for having brown hair)
- or Coffee – 3 TSP (for having dark brown hair)
- or a Single Beetroot – Finely chopped. (for having red or burgundy hair)
- Water – 2 cups
- Boil water and add any of the three ingredients (not all of them together).
- Boil for 5 minutes, strain it and use the liquid on your washed hair.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes then wash your hair with cold water.
- All these hair rinses work extremely well but may take sometime to show you the results.
- These hair rinses should be used on your hair by just pouring them on your hair and scalp.
- You need to use these after washing your hair.
- Always rinse your hair well with water after using them.
Hope you guys liked this article. If you like it, do consider sharing it with your friends and also share your views on this as you all know your comments makes me smile from ear to ear.
Have a lovely day!