Have you ever used neem oil for hair?
You know, how I am obsessed with taking care of my hair, experimenting with different natural ingredients and trying out new home remedies for hair. Last month, I accidentally found my Dad’s book of Ayurvedic remedies. In that book, I read all about how neem is no less than a boon for mankind. After digging more, I found that neem works best for hair when you use it as neem oil. So, let’s dig a little more about this neem oil. Shall we?
Neem Oil Benefits For Hair
Neem oil is an amazing hair oil for hair and has rich ayurvedic properties.
- It triggers hair growth.
- It controls hair fall.
- It helps to regrow lost hair.
- It also helps to tame frizzy hair and repair your split ends to a certain extent.
- It is rich in anti-fungal properties which helps to combat dandruff, eczema, dermatitis and other scalp infections.
- It prevents excess production of sebum.
- It also helps to detoxify your scalp and helps maintain the ph of the scalp.
- It is the best natural medicine to fight against lice.
- It prevents premature graying of hair.
How To Make Neem Oil For Hair At Home?
Neem oil is extremely beneficial when it comes to hair care and skin care. I have been already using it in my DIY hair oil to cover gray hair and henna and indigo hair mask but before finding that book I never thought of using neem as oil. Neem oil that works best for your hair is when it is extracted from neem seeds by cold press method. But you can easily make your oil neem oil by infusing neem paste with coconut oil.
To make neem oil at home, you will need,
- Fresh neem leaves paste: 1 cup (just crush neem leaves and don’t add water)
- Coconut oil: 1 cup (try using cold press coconut oil for maximum benefits)
- Heat Coconut oil using double boiler method and add neem leaves paste.
- Stir occasionally till the oil turns to beautiful green color.
- Turn off the heat and strain the oil.
- Let it cool for an hour.
- Now add 5-6 drops of Lavender essential oil to it.
Your neem oil is ready to use. Store it in a glass jar in a cool place.
Where To Buy Neem Oil?
How To Use Neem Oil For Hair?
Neem oil can be used in numerous ways in your hair care routine. I personally use it in 4 different ways.
Add to your hair oil
Adding neem oil to base oils like coconut oil or olive oil works amazing. I personally take 4 tablespoons of coconut oil, add 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil and 1 tablespoon of neem oil and few drops of lavender oil. This combination works fantastic for me but you can definitely play around with other oils as per your need.
Apply this hair oil twice a week and you will notice less hair fall, soothed the scalp and faster hair growth.
Add to your shampoo
If you have been following me for a while, you might know, I like adding various things to my shampoo for enhanced results. So, when I added neem oil to my shampoo, my hair felt really manageable and frizz free. Plus my scalp felt itch free. If you have lice, then this might be the perfect solution for you. Just add 8-10 drops of neem oil to coin-sized shampoo and you are good to go.
- You might like: Add these to your shampoo and have problem free hair.
Add to your conditioner
Like the shampoo, you can also add neem oil to your conditioner. Adding it to your conditioner will help you achieve shiny and manageable hair. It will prevent your hair from tangling. Just add 8-10 drops to coin-sized conditioner.
Add to your hair rinse
I love experimenting with different hair rinses. I already use neem leaves decoction for my hair rinse and love it. But if you have extreme dandruff, take a bowl of warm water, squeeze in half lemon juice and add few drops of neem oil to it. Now use this water as a hair rinse. This will definitely leave you with best possible results.
- Also Read: Hair Rinse to Solve All Your Hair Problems
Neem Oil Side Effects & Some Useful Tips
- Like any other ingredients, make sure you patch test first, to make sure you don’t get an allergic reaction.
- Neem oil should not be consumed orally.
- Keep it away from the reach of children, so that they don’t consume it by accident.
Hope you found this post useful. Have any hair query, do share it and we will together achieve your hair goals. See you soon with a lot of diys, home remedies and hair care tips. To see what’s on my testing table, you can follow me on my Instagram, Quora or Join our Facebook Group.
Have a lovely day!